Nicholusa Ludwig Zinzendorf




I have but one passion- It is He, it is He alone. The world is the field, and the field is the world; henceforth that country shall be my home where I can be most used in winning souls for Christ. -Nicholusa Ludwig Zinzendorf-







Saturday, August 25, 2012

Clash of Cultures


So lately during my leisure reading time I have been reading a book on art theory.  I usually read about 30 minutes or so before going to bed.  This week while out in the bush I my friend Tokka visited me and saw my facial expression change as I was reading a sentence about a Van Gogh painting that was sold for 53.9 million dollars.  She was of course was curious about what I was reading so she inquired.  I don’t think I will ever have enough Fulfulde to explain the subjunctive view of art, let alone art theory.  I told her it was something that people make and then put in their houses to look at.  The next day she pointed towards her wall that had 4 plastic covers from cell phones and said, “art, like this?”  I sat there trying to comprehend my view of art verses hers.  Is Van Gogh’s “Irises” comparable to things that we consider trash?  Well, to the Fulani it is.  I am really tempted to show them a Jackson Pollock and see what they have to say about that!  Anyways from my experience in Niger, my interpretation of “art” has definitely been stretched!

No comments:

Post a Comment